Space is the new cool. It is dominating the conversation at this year’s SXSW—the iconic festival with global influence over movies, music and anything interactive. With the universe at your fingertips, where does a festival-goer* begin?
Below, Unistellar has curated a selection of the most amazing space talks happening at SXSW 2021, including our very own citizen astronomy panel.
- By All, for All: Citizen Science to Reveal Cosmos
- Confirming an exoplanet from another solar system, fighting light pollution to view the cosmos, or refining the trajectory and the shape of an asteroid coming near our Earth: The uncharted space territories can now be explored by the people, leading to a much better understanding of our cosmic surroundings. Come chat with NASA, the SETI Institute, Globe@Night, and citizen astronomers from the Unistellar network to learn how you too can join this space journey.
- Space is for Everybody: Insights from NASA Astronauts
- For 20 years, humans have conducted science from humanity’s home in orbit — the International Space Station. Join NASA astronauts Victor Glover and Kate Rubins for a conversation from 250 miles above as these space travelers provide insight about their experience working and living in space, international collaboration aboard the station, space technology, and how research in microgravity benefits everybody back on Earth.
- 3D Printing is Launching Rockets to the Future
- Society sees space as futuristic. However, aerospace manufacturing has not evolved in 60 years – large factories, fixed tooling, complex supply chains, and extensive manual labor continues to hold the industry back. However, over the past five years, Relativity Space has built an unrivaled team revolutionizing how rockets are built and flown by fusing 3D printing, artificial intelligence, and autonomous robotics. Join co-founder and CEO of Relativity Tim Ellis and space evangelist and influencer @Astroathens Athena Brensberger, for a featured session at SXSW.
- See the Cosmos – NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope
- This year NASA will launch its next great telescope, the James Webb Space Telescope, into space. Built, tested, and assembled by NASA (partnering with the European Space Agency and the Canadian Space Agency) Webb will be the largest and most complex space telescope ever to launch into space and an engineering feat like no other.
- Living on Mars, Beyond Surviving
- In 2019 NASA concluded a competition that sought perspectives from outside the traditional aerospace industry to explore how a human habitat could be designed and delivered on Mars using autonomous 3D printing technologies. The competition’s goal was to advance construction technology needed to create sustainable habitation solutions for Mars and beyond.
And that is just the beginning, here is a non-exhaustive list of other mind-blowing space talks at SXSW 2021:
- NASA Unleashes Space Data Across the Senses
- Space Gold Rush
- Rise Up: Black Women & Girls Reaching for the Stars
- A Star Trek Model for Space? How SciFi Impacts Law
- Lunar Village: The Future of Space Exploration
- A New Space Age: The Virtual Collective Experience
- From Texas to the Moon and Beyond: Texas A&M’s Space Lab at SXSW
(*) Panels will initially be accessible only to SXSW online attendees. Stay tuned for replay opportunities this summer.